Tuesday 1 April 2014

Split shifts, less home time, less money.

Last week one of my bosses came to me and said he wants to give me more hours. "It means more money, you should be happy." Fair enough. On Sunday he showed me the new rota. So far I've been working from 4pm until we finish on Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday and cleaned the restaurant on Mondays for a few hours in day time. Now he wants me to work the following hours: Tuesday 6pm-finish, Thursday, Friday and Saturday 12-15 and 18-finish. So I'm losing all my Monday hours and two hours on Tuesday. On Thursday, Friday and Saturday I will be working one hour more that usual but I will have to sacrifice four hours more for work each day because on that 3 hour break I cannot get home and back. I have no idea what to do with that time? I really can't afford to go shopping or eat out. No way.. I'm trying to save money for Finland. At the minute I usually get about £80 a week. I try to save half of it. So let's say I have £40 for myself per week. My weekly bus ticket is £12. Ok so I have £28 left. This is supposed to be enough for cat food, human food, cat litter, hygiene etc etc. This week I have to buy Nero's flea drops and food. That's £30 gone. I also just ran out of shampoo and conditioner. Maybe I can't save half of my weekly wage. Again.

Last week I was at work every single day. Wednesday is my day off but I go to that sommelier course which is at work so it is not really a day off. And then my managers dared to make me and the other waitress to set and clear tables and clean up after! We don't get paid for it and it was my only day off all week! Usually Sunday is my day off as well but because it was mother's day and we were full and I was the only waitress who could do it, I had to do it. Well yesterday I went cleaning again and was hoping to get this Tuesday off. Because of the new rota it was a problem so I am expected to work without a proper day off until Sunday again? Well my manager promised to phone me today if he doesn't need me. I still can't plan anything and have to be ready to go... Funny that he just phoned me when I was writing this. Ok I'm not going to work, let's stop moaning then. :)

I am really looking forward to going to Finland and I bought a little sandwich box for saving money in. I really want to see the amount grow! But Finland is not the only thing I am looking forward to. We are going to see a horse race in about three weeks time. It will be my first gallop race ever and since I really like horses I am really excited about it. I really hope they find another waitress to help in the restaurant.. I am just thinking of my waitress friend, not them two managers so much. I am so happy she is still there. I only see her on weekends and on the course but seeing her really motivates me. Her and one of the chefs. Please don't leave before me! Because I know they both want to. Anyway, about the race! I hope that I get lucky and win some money. I will choose a horse with the nicest name or colour and hope that will do it. I also hope it is going to be a nice day. I really want to wear a summery dress.

Any ideas on what I could do on my 3 hour breaks? So far I am thinking that I could take my wine books to work and if I'm allowed to stay there I could do some studying. Then MAYBE if there is a swimming hall somewhere close enough and they are open, I could start swimming. Maybe just stupid long walks. I could kill that time online but I am not taking my laptop to work. Hmmm.. Heeeelp!

Ps. 66 days until Finland!

2 comments:

  1. Jos sattuu olemaan nätti päivä niin onko lähellä mitään puistoa yms missä hengailla kirjaa lukien tai ottaa vaikka oma viltti mukaan ja rentoutua vaikka oikeen vaakatasossa? Tollaset pätkityt päivät on kyllä tosi ärsyttäviä, pomot haluu kaiken irti ruuhka-ajoista.. Mulla on pelkästään uuvuttavan pitkiä 13h työpäiviä ja ne on järjestelty idioottimaisesti, nytkin oon pe vapaalla, la töissä ja su vapaalla. Jos vuorot järjestäis järkevämmin niin neljään viikkoon sais helposti pidempiä 3-4 päivän vapaita (kuten hoitoalalla on ainakin suomessa tapana), kuitenkin lähes kaikki on pätkitty yhen-kahen päivän vapaiks vaikka siis työpäiviä viikossa vaan 3-4. Samoin jos yövuoro loppuu sunnuntai aamuun niin su on listoissa merkattu vapaaksi ja jo ma pitkään päivään töihin. Pakko nukkua su kun pääsee töistä mut sit su-ma yönä pitäis saada kans unta et selvii töihin! Suomessa tollaset vuorot olis laittomia... Kuulemma tietokone arpoo noi vuorot et ei voi valittaa kenellekkään! Kauhistelen edelleen tota sun palkkaa, samoin kun kauhistelen omaani koska onhan se paljon pienempi kuin suomessa ja elinkulut täällä myös kalliimmat. Vielä siitä pitäis lyhentää opintolainaa ja luottokorttilaskua. Huono yhtälö :/

    Ootteko menossa Liverpooliin kattomaan niitä isoja raveja? On kuulemma tosi iso tapahtuma tällä saarella ja mun poikaystävä puhu kans et meinaa löydä vetoa, voitti kuulemma £60 viime vuonna. Se sano että paras on yleensä aina se, jolta sitä vähiten odottaa. Pitää seurata telkkarista ja löydä kans vetoa, ne heppojen nimetkin on niin hauskoja :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mie en ees tieda mika niien kisojen nimi on. Ei se vissiin siis ole mikaan iso tapahtuma, mutta se on Nottinghamissa tai sen lahella jossain. Pitaa muistaa ladata kameraan patterit. Ihanaa nahda heppoja. :)

      Hmm, tulee aina huono omatunto valittamisesta kun luen siun juttuja, onhan sulla ihan hirveen pitkat vuorot ja sitten viela kovempi stressi. Tosin huomisesta tulee katastrofi koska toissa meita tulee olemaan yks tyonantaja joka ei osaa johtaa eika ole motivoitunut koska se lahtee tiistaina, taysin kokematon uus tytto, toisen pomon semikokematon vaimo ja mina. Ja taysi ravintola. Saan tasta varmaan ihan hyvan blogipaivityksen. Ittea vaan arsyttaa naissa tyopaivissa se, etta vaikka lahden kotoa jo kymmenen aikaan aamulla ja paasen yhentoista maissa illalla kotiin niin silti saan palkan vaan kaheksalta tunnilta. Siihen viela se aika mika menee suihkuun, hiusten kuivaamiseen ja laittoon ja meikkiin jne. Kiva kun on sen 13 tuntia pois kotoa ja siina tienaa sen kakskymppia :D Mut tanaan oli ihan kiva kun ehdin nahda poikaystavaa McDonaldsissa tauolla.

      En tieda yhtaan onko siina lahella puistoja mutta pienen bussimatkan paassa ois joten ei se tietty mahdotonta ole.

      Delete